About Me

We are Clark students, faculty, staff, and alumni committed to organizing around issues of social and economic justice. We work to promote equal access to dignified employment, worker's rights to organize, and the fair distribution of resources. We support Clark Sodexo food service workers' right to organize for better working conditions. They have the right to do so without intimidation. We value their service to the Clark community.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Clark Workers Speak Out

Pablo Rivera: Utilities

“I have been working for Sodexo six days a week since January 23, 2010. This semester I was forced to quit because I started as a student at Clark’s COPACE program. I told my boss last year that I was going to start taking classes this fall and that my classes might interfere with my work schedule. Even though I told my boss ahead of time I was not given the chance to work around my hours for the two days I have classes. Instead I was forced to choose between getting an education or continuing working the same schedule. As a member of the Clark community I support the union because it gives workers who are having issues and problems in their jobs a chance to talk about it and take action all together. It is more successful when all of us come together instead of fighting individually.”

Trevor Delaparra: Cook

“I am in support for a union because I want for all of us to have access to affordable healthcare and better wages.”

William McNamara: Dishwasher

“I have worked at Clark for 14 years, but last spring I was laid off for the entire semester. Sodexo said that they had to lay me off because there was a lack of work, even though I came to know they hired new workers. I was hired back this year for only two days a week. I currently make only $10 an hour after having work here for more than 14 years. I support the union because I want the workers to have a voice in the workplace. I also think it would help the students and the workers to unite.”

No comments:

Post a Comment